Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Language Barrier


If you look closely at the right-hand side of the above image, you will note that Creatures & Castles is available in several languages. That's not strictly true - there's really no change to the in-game text as of yet. No, currently the only thing that has been localized is the web store listing, and that's because I've been advised that it's a good thing to do for visibility. Well, I suppose it is! 

However, up until a couple of days ago, I had no idea how to go about getting my stuff translated into a handful of languages in a hurry... I mean, I've got a bunch of friends and family around the world that could cover some of the bases, but that would have taken a while to orchestrate. Meanwhile, I'm supposed to be going live this Tuesday!

By some bizarre coincidence, a routine sweep of my inbox turned up an unsolicited email I'd received a few months back offering translation services via this company. Normally I delete this kind of crap, but for some reason in this case I didn't... Probably because the guy who had emailed me had taken the time to look at my game, figure out how to contact me, and suggest what needed localization, as well as offer of a discount to get me started. (Basically, if you're going to send me unsolicited email, and I happen to need the services you have on offer, this is the right way to go about it).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, $90 and two hours after I signed up for the service, I had my store description text (144 words) translated and independently proof-read in five languages. Most impressive! Hopefully all of the text is correct, as short of further independent checking, I'll not know until it's in the store.

This is the way the internet is supposed to work! I need something done, I find someone to do it, and a couple of hours and a few dollars later it's done. Awesome! 

Post a Comment